- In 2000, Rong Chen, a senior alumnus of Tsinghua University’s Computer Science department, returns to China from Microsoft USA and begins research and development for the first-generation Elastos network Operating System.
- In 2003, Rong Chen was received by Jin-Tao Hu, the former CPC General Secretary.
- In 2006, Rong Chen completed the kernel and graphics systems.
- In 2007, Rong Chen built a complete smartphone and massively produced it.
- In 2009, China Unicom used Elastos’ middleware as a fertile phone operating system framework.
- In 2013, Foxconn invests in the Elastos open source project to build a distributed, cross-internet industrial Internet of Things and a smart home network operating system
- In May 2017, Rong Chen co-founded the Elastos Foundation with Feng Han to support Elastos - a blockchain-drive Internet project, attempting to create a new digital smart economy model that turns numbers into wealth.
- In January 2018, under the expert guidance of Washington D.C. law firm, Elastos successfully conducted the token sale of the utility token, ELA.
- In January 2018, alongside Bitmain and Neo, Elastos led critical discussions pertaining to computational thinking and the many applications of blockchain within the Elastos ecosystem. NEO provided considerable assistance in implementing the Elastos mai nchain and Bitmain continues to serve as a strong partner in providing support with merged-mining operations.
- In January 2018, at a meeting in Beijing, the Elastos team discussed and reached final consensus on its mixed economic model(AuxPoW + DPoS).
- In March 2018, Elastos holds ecosystem construction conference where speakers including Jihan Wu of Bitmain and five other partners participated in discussion centered on the development of the Elastos ecosystem.
- In April 2018, Elastos carrier goes open source on Github.
- In May 2018, Elastos holds inaugural hacking marathon event where the competition was based on the Elastos Carrier.
- In June 2018, Elastos received the “Annual Public Chain” award by Babbitt - China’s well-known blockchain forum - at the World Blockchain Conference.
- In July 2018, Elastos DID Sidechain goes live. The Decentralized Identification system is an indispensable component of the Elastos ecosystem. The DID Sidechain verifies the authenticity and provenance of data, advancing Elastos one step closer to realizing a complete, decentralized internet infrastructure.
- In August 2018, Elastos celebrated its 1-year anniversary of Elastos. In advance of the event, the Elastos developer team led a one-week intensive training course to acquaint others in the community and beyond with the Elastos platform and its technological infrastructure.
- In August 2018, Merged-mining with Bitcoin officially goes live with Bitmain’s BTC.com mining pool joining in.
- In August 2018, Elastos releases an alpha version of Elastos Smartweb. The release of Elastos Smartweb Alpha represents a monumental checkpoint in the creation of a secure Smartweb. The Alpha release included a elastOS browser Android, ID Sidechain, Elastos SDK v0.2, a few demo DApps. Its release was accompanied by a 16-minute demo video titled: “Elastos Alpha: End to End Demo DApp”
- In August 2018, the Cyber Republic launches with alpha release. The Cyber Republic program is the first iteration of the decentralized community upon which Elastos will be shaped and supported by a necosystem of skilled entrepreneurs, developers, and end users.
- In August 2018, the Elastos TV Box collaboration with Shanghai Shijiu TV begins and is announced at ChinaJoy.
- In December 2018, Elastos Carrier reaches a major milestone with 900,000 smart tv boxes with elastos carrier deployed produced. The current number is now at 1 million.
- In December 2018, both the SPV Mobile wallet and Elastos Elephant wallet were officially released.
Who is Rong Chen?
Rong Chen graduated in 1977 from the Department of Computer Science and Technology at Tsinghua University. He first studied operating systems at the University of Illinois for seven years, and then contributed to the development of the underlying modules of the Windows operating system for eight years at the Microsoft headquarters. After returning home, he focused his work on operating systems for 17 years. In June 2017, the co-founder took part in the planning and establishment of the Elastos Foundation to support Elastos, a blockchain-driven Internet project.
Read this comprehensive Q&A with Rong Chen about Elastos, his history, his success and failures and why he stuck with building a blockchain operating system